WELCOME TO YORK U ORIENTATION!
York University offers a wide variety of Orientation programming for all new and incoming students. It is a great way to meet new people, discover campus resources, and learn all about your degree while providing you with a smooth transition into university.
Winter Academic Orientation
Winter Academic Orientation is for all new, incoming students, including transfer and mature students. It will take place the day before the first day of classes, Wednesday, January 4, 2017. Further down the page you will find registration information and a complete schedule of activities.
Still have questions about Winter Orientation? Check out our Winter Orientation Frequently Asked Questions page.
Students will receive an email inviting them to register for Winter Orientation via their College. A student's College is like their home away from home and serves to provide students with academic and social support throughout their time at York. Students who are unsure what College they are affiliated with can use our College Finder tool.
Schedule of Activities
The morning portion of the schedule will be hosted by each respective College. Here, students will learn more about their program of study, specific academic services, social activities, recreational activities and facilities. Additionally, students will meet important members of their College such as the faculty, staff and College Master. A light lunch will be provided.
College Orientation Times/Locations.
- Bethune College – 11am in Life Sciences Building, Room 103
- Stong College – 10:15am in Stong College, Room 10 (Master’s Dining Room)
- Calumet College – 10:15am in Stong College, Room 10 (Master’s Dining Room)
- Vanier College – 9:30 am inVanier College, Room 135
- New College – 9:30am in Underground Restaurant, Student Centre
- McLaughlin College – 9:45am, in Founders College, Room 152
- Founders College –– 9:45am, in Founders College, Room 152
- Winters College – N/A
*Please note your College will email you more details closer to the event date and provide you the registration link. Not sure what College you belong to? Try our College finder tool.
After lunch students will be escorted to the Campus Services Fair taking place in Vari Hall from 1 - 3pm (building 30 on the campus map). Here, students will have a chance to connect directly to key campus partners who provide centralized services such as financial information, learning resources, security, transportation agencies, athletics, health and wellness resources etc. In addition, students will also have the opportunity to take optional campus tours to help them find their classes and become familiar with key areas that will be critical to their success in that first week. Tours will be leaving from Vari Hall every 30 minutes. The tour times will be at 2pm, 2:30pm and 3pm. Tours will be conducted by RED Zone student ambassadors who are year-round mentors for new and transitioning students.
Participants at the Campus Service Fair will include:
York International Orientation
It is mandatory that all new international students participate in an International Student Orientation Session.
York International will offer four orientation sessions in Winter 2017 on York's Keele campus. New international students should plan to attend one. Sessions are 2 hours long and will be offered between Tuesday, January 3, 2017 and Friday, January 6, 2017 in 242 York Lanes. **You only need to register for and attend one orientation session that fits your schedule. To register, please click here
At The New International Student Orientation you will:
- Learn where to access essential information about immigration requirements for international students.
- Learn about social and cultural transition and ways to adapt to the new Canadian academic environment.
- Have the opportunity to develop lasting friendships with fellow students and international student peers.
- Learn how to enroll in the mandatory University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP).
- Learn key information about life on campus including safety and security at York University.
Glendon Orientation – Friday Jan 13
Are you a new student this Winter term? Glendon Orientation will get your first year at Glendon off to a good start!
It's a mandatory event that features the need-to-know information about student life, services and resources on campus and will get you even more excited to start your life as a Glendonite. It also features a Meet and Greet so you can get to know other new students, international students, your Student Union, Lion's Den Peer Mentors, the Glendon International Club, and student organizations.
Participate in activities, grab a bite to eat, and ask any questions that you may have about starting your studies at Glendon. We look forward to seeing you there!
Schedule of events:
- 1PM to 1:30PM: International Student Orientation (International and Exchange students only)
- 1:30PM to 2:30PM: Mandatory Orientation (All new students)
- 2:30PM - 4PM: Social/Meet & Greet (all new students and special guests)
Details and registration information to be updated shortly.