Planning to start university this September? We invite you to come to campus and get prepared for your big adventure! You will have a chance to participate in:
- a specialized tour where you will learn how to navigate the campus, find your classrooms and pick-up your official ID, the YU-card;
- making connections with the students in your program/Faculty;
- connecting with senior peer leaders who will help you learn more about accessing key services to make your first year transition easier.
We even have a special component geared specifically to welcoming Parents & Family members. Here we will:
- answer all your burning questions about York University;
- teach you how to be the best possible support system for you student.
This on-campus event is open to both first-year undergraduate students and parents or family supports. The day will begin with an overview session that covers orientation week and York Orientation Day. Students will then be split into small groups and paired with senior student leaders to learn about key topics such as student finances, the York Federation of Students health plan, academic supports, YUSTART, important deadlines, and accessing key resources such as transportation/parking, food services, the library, and the bookstore.
We will run a simultaneous Parents & Family information session where parents/family members will be welcomed by senior administration and learn the best ways to support your students as they make their transition to university life. The session will cover various topics from campus safety to mental health support for students and give family members a chance to ask questions. There will also be a financial information session that covers such topics as paying tuition, financial support and bursaries/scholarships, important deadlines, and OSAP.
Afterwards, both family members and students will be invited to participate in a campus tour which will help locate key services and resources. It will also give students the opportunity to find classrooms and locate their home department.
Registration for the on-campus component of York 101 opens Monday, July 8 and can be found through YU START.