Participate in York 101 Online - All Summer Long
International student? Conflicting commitments? Just can’t make it to campus over the summer? Don’t worry! There are several ways to stay connected and gather all the great information you’ll need to “own your first day” all from the comfort of home.
Watch our quick start video guide to start getting ready for your first day:
More ways to start getting ready for your first day:
- Beat the super long line-ups in September for you YU-card (your official York student card) by uploading your picture online today and picking up your card anytime this summer from the YU-card office. If you are unable to come to campus in the summer you can always get your yu-card in the Fall.
- Stay engaged! Follow the #YORK101 hashtag. Each week this summer the RED Zone will be bringing you information, advice and best practices to ensure you “own your first day.” Be sure to follow them on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Join the Official Accepted to YorkU 2021 Facebook group as well as your program-specific Facebook group to interact with upper-year student leaders and meet other new students in your program..
- Book a campus tour on other dates in the summer months to get familiar with campus!
- Visit the RED Zone student ambassadors in Vari Hall Monday to Friday, 10am - 3:30pm. Come to our welcome desk and our friendly student staff can help calm any nervousness you might have about starting school. Whether you need help finding your classrooms, have questions about enrolment, student finances or maybe you just want to learn how make new friends and get the most of out of your first-year - we have the answers. Feel free to stop by and say hello. You can also interact with us on social media - @yorksredzone on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. No booking appointments necessary!
- Check out the York Orientation website and register for York Orientation Day as soon as the link goes live. Orientation week runs from September 2 - 10 with York Orientation Day happening on September 6 from 1 - 8 pm. Meet new people, get connected and show your school spirit!. There’s an orientation event for everyone.
The York 101 On-Campus Experience
Planning to start university this September? We invite you come to campus and get prepared for your big adventure! You will have a chance to participate in:
- a specialized tour where you will learn how to navigate the campus, find your classrooms and pick-up your official ID, the YU-card;
- making connections with the students in your program/Faculty;
- connecting with senior peer leaders who will help you learn more about accessing key services to make your first year transition easier.
We even have a special component geared specifically at welcoming Parents & Family members where we will:
- answer all their burning questions about York University;
- teach them how to be the best possible support system for their students.
This half-day session runs from 9:30 am until 1:30 pm and is open to both first-year undergraduate students and their parents or family supports. The day will begin with an overview session that covers orientation week and York Orientation Day. Students will then be split into small groups and paired with senior student leaders to learn about key topics such as student finances, the York Federation of Students health plan, academic supports, YUSTART, important deadlines, and accessing key resources such as transportation/parking, food services, the library, and the bookstore.
We will run a simultaneous Parents & Family information session where parents/family members will be welcomed by senior administration and learn the best ways to support their students as they make their transition to university life. The session will cover various topics from campus safety to mental health support for students and give family members a chance to ask questions. There will also be a 30 minute financial information session that covers such topics as paying tuition, financial support and bursaries/scholarships, important deadlines, and OSAP.
Afterwards, both family members and students will be invited to participate in a campus tour which will help locate key services and resources. It will also give students the opportunity to find classrooms and locate their home department.
Registration has closed for the on-campus component of York 101.
*Please note that not all programs are participating in the York 101 on-campus experience. These programs include:
- Lassonde School of Engineering
- Faculty of Science
- Schulich School of Business
- Osgoode Law School
- Graduate level programs
These programs will be offering their own in-person campus experiences. Please contact your Faculty for more details.